What if you put schnitzel in a sandwich instead of meat? You will get a schnitzel sandwich! And if you also add lettuce, mustard and mayonnaise – it turns out a great idea for a picnic lunch. And no one will be left hungry for sure!
What is schnitzel
Schnitzel is thin plates of meat (without veins and cartilage), rolled in breadcrumbs and fried in a large amount of oil until golden brown. This dish is from Viennese cuisine, and it is believed that the classic version is prepared from veal. But today, chicken breast, pork, and lamb are used for schnitzel.
- 4 pork schnitzels/cutlets without bones
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. milk
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. lard or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 crusty rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves, optional
- 4 bread and butter pickle slices, optional
- Condiments of your choice, i.e. mayonnaise & mustard
- Rinse the schnitzels and tap them dry with a paper towel
- In a deep bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, pour flour and breadcrumbs into the other two bowls
- Brush the meat with a mix of mustard, salt, pepper and paprika powder
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Cover the meat with flour and shake off the excess, dip in eggs, and then cover with breadcrumbs
- Fry the schnitzels on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown
- Transfer them to a plate covered with paper towels to get rid of excess fat
- Cut the rolls and spread the condiments that you like
- Add the lettuce leaves and pickles and put the warm schnitzel on the roll
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 701
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 26.66g42%
- Saturated Fat 9.764g49%
- Trans Fat 0.01g
- Cholesterol 29mg10%
- Sodium 1035mg44%
- Potassium 191mg6%
- Total Carbohydrate 81.54g28%
- Dietary Fiber 2.4g10%
- Sugars 5.91g
- Protein 32.87g66%
Is a Schnitzel German food?
The name “schnitzel” originally referred to a dish of Viennese cuisine made from veal — Viennese schnitzel, which spread in the second half of the XIX century. Nowadays schnitzel is a popular dish in Germany.
What You Can Eat With a German Schnitzel Sandwich?
As a side dish you can eat french fries, crispy chips or more traditional potato salad.
Serving Size 1 Schnitzel Sandwich
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.