Rich in protein and fiber, chickpeas are an excellent base for hearty healthy vegetarian-style sandwiches. To make sandwiches without hassle, use canned chickpeas. It is easily mashed with a fork, but if you like a more smooth consistency, you can use a blender. A little bit of avocado and mayonnaise will make it thick. Mustard and garlic are also added to the salad for piquancy, but if you like more spiciness, you can add cayenne pepper. Put the chickpea salad in the pitas and garnish it with fresh vegetables. A delicious and healthy sandwich is ready!
How to make a chickpea salad sandwich
- In a medium-sized bowl, use a fork or blender to mash the chickpeas and avocado to make a paste.
- Add the green onion, lime juice, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt and black pepper and mix. For spiciness, you can add cayenne pepper. (You can grind chickpea salad ingredients in a food processor for a more smooth consistency).
- Cut the pitas horizontally in half to open the pockets. Put a chickpea salad in each pita pocket. Garnish with cucumber slices, bean sprouts, radishes and lettuce on top.
- Serve pita sandwiches.
Toppings for this chickpea salad sandwich
Bacon and chickpea salad sandwich
- Cook the chickpeas according to the instructions from the package. Let them cool and then mash with a fork or grind in a blender.
- Wash the vegetables and cut the onion into half rings, cucumber and pepper into small cubes, finely chop the garlic and the parsley.
- In a deep bowl, mix chickpeas, onion, pepper, cucumber, parsley and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper, pour 1-2 tbsp olive oil, lime juice and add 1 tsp mustard.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat, fry the bacon until golden brown on both sides. Remove it to a plate.
- Toast the bread in a hot dry frying pan.
- Assemble the sandwich: spread the bread with the resulting salad, put bacon on top, decorate with herbs if desired, cover with another piece of bread on top.
Sandwich with chickpeas and raisins
An unusual, delicious and satisfying sandwich.
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain the water.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add chickpeas, raisins, onions and seasonings. Fry for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Let it cool down. Lightly mash the chickpeas. Add mayonnaise and seasonings to taste.
- Put chickpeas on bread, top with lettuce leaves.
Tacos with chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Remove the chickpeas from the can and rinse.
- Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, salt and spices, add chickpeas and mix.
- Put the mixture on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for twenty to forty minutes until the chickpeas are crispy enough.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then hang each tortilla on the oven grill, preheated to 375 F, so that there are two crossbars in the middle of the tortilla, and the edges hang down. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the tortillas are crispy.
- Put chickpeas in taco tortillas, arugula and diced tomato on top.
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight, and then cook according to the instructions on the package. Usually, it is 40 minutes on medium heat. Salt at the very end.
- Cut the onion into thin half-rings and soak in vinegar and water (1:10) for a few minutes, so the onion will give off its bitterness and become softer, but crispy.
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 259
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 13.7g22%
- Saturated Fat 2.6g13%
- Cholesterol 7mg3%
- Sodium 360.8mg16%
- Potassium 290.3mg9%
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7g10%
- Dietary Fiber 5.2g21%
- Sugars 4.6g
- Protein 6.1g13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.