If you are packing lunch with yourself or just want to treat a large company, a steak sandwich will be a great solution. It is cooked as quickly as it is eaten. Be sure to save this recipe to a collection of quick dishes for a delicious dinner.
Prepare the Right Steak for the Sandwich
We’ll start with warnings. When preparing this sandwich at home in a frying pan, expect a lot of smoke and stains. So, turn on the kitchen hood, close the kitchen door (if there is one), open the windows and arm yourselves with a rag.
What about what steak to choose? We suggest these:
Rib Eye steak is a classic of meat cuisine and the standard of fried meat. In most cases, when it comes to steaks, they mean it. Delicious, hearty and at the same time tender and juicy, it is loved by gourmets from all over the world.
Ribeye preparation has a lot of cooking secrets and little culinary tricks. And the Rib Eye steak itself is prepared exclusively from certain marbled meat. Perhaps this is his secret and the reason for its’s worldwide success.
This is the meat of bulls of special meat breeds, which are grown using special technologies. They are genetically predisposed to the formation of marble veins in beef.
Fattening plays a key role in this, thanks to which fat layers are created – marbling, which gives the Rib Eye steak juiciness, melting structure and unsurpassed taste properties. When frying, the fat melts and fills the meat with juice while the meat fibers soften.
For cooking, a thick edge of the cut is used strictly between the 5th and 12th ribs. Ribeye refers to premium steaks and is the most famous and popular.
In this area where the Ribai steak comes from, there are muscles that are practically not involved in the movement, therefore, underdeveloped and “not pumped”.
This is a Longissimus Dorsi muscle that runs along the spine, it does not have serious loads, so the meat is especially tender and soft, there are completely no veins in it. And minimal mobility contributes to the formation of the already mentioned marbling.
Skirt or Flank
Skirt steak and Flank steak – in appearance, these are oblong strips of meat and they are taken from those parts of the bull that perform active work throughout the life of the animal. The skirt steak is the muscle of the bull’s diaphragm, and the flank steak is cut from the flank – cut of the abdominal part. They’re both long, weird-looking chunks of beef. That’s why they are so often confused.
It is also worth mentioning that there are two types of steaks called “Skirt”. This is because the bull has two muscles of the diaphragm, external and internal. Hence the two types of Skirt steak. These are Outside skirt, aka Machete, and Inside Skirt, which has not received its own separate steak name, since it is rarely served as a separate dish.
We sort of figured out the location, but what about the taste and consistency?
Both cuts are not so greasy in comparison with steaks such as Rib Eye or Striploin and have a pronounced beef taste. Since both the Skirt and the Flank contain a lot of muscles involved in active work, both of them can be quite tough if cooked incorrectly.
Outside skirt Machete (thin diaphragm) is still somewhat softer and tender, as it consists of less rigid fibers and is thin in structure. Great for grilling and even for frying pans.
More dense in consistency, Inside skirt and Flank steak will work well with a properly selected marinade. It will soften the fibers and make the meat tender and pleasant to eat.
There is a legend that the name of the steak was given by King James I of England, who, during his return from Scotland, was so impressed with the quality and taste of the cooked meat that he knighted the loin of beef from which the dinner was prepared. Putting his sword to the steak, he gave it the name “Sir Loin”. There is no reliable evidence of this myth.
Most likely, the name was based on the Old French word surloigne, which can be translated as “above the waist”.
Сut from the sacrum. It is cut from the saddle part next to the widest part of the tenderloin. The meat is quite soft, but at the same time fragrant. The whole sirloin is better to be baked: rub it with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and oregano (or other herbs to your taste) and send it to the oven, preheated to 320 degrees, for an hour and a half. Sirloin steaks are easy to over-dry, especially if you focus on the part where the strip of fat is located: the optimal degree of roasting is medium, or better – medium-rare. Fry it for a couple of minutes on each side on a grill or in a frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil (at the end, add a piece of butter, a couple of garlic cloves and a sprig of rosemary to the pan). If you are frying in a contact grill, just press the button and wait for the desired degree of roasting. And be sure to let the steak rest after cooking.
The dish bears the name of a large American city, where, thanks to one restaurant, this steak has gained worldwide fame. This premium cut has gained great popularity among connoisseurs of meat delicacies.
Steak New York has another common name: “striploin” or “strip steak”. This name refers to the carcass of a bull and indicates the area of the steak tenderloin.
The New York steak is cut in the loin area of the lumbar carcass, starting from the 13th rib. In the same part of the carcass, but in the range between 6 and 12 ribs, another equally famous Rib Eye steak is cut. Despite the similar area of the tenderloin, steaks still differ from each other.
The New York steak is framed in the form of a strip of fat only on the edge of a piece of beef. Rib Eye steak has fat not only on the border of the meat cut but also contains even fat inclusions throughout the meat fragment. New York steak can be made even leaner if you cut off the fat layer inherent in it, but in this case, it will lose some of the juiciness and richness of the beef flavor. You can get rid of the fat strip after cooking, preserving the whole range of taste and proper juiciness, but at the same time reducing the calorie content of the dish.
New York steak is fried in a frying pan with a thick bottom, preferably cast iron, or on the grill. New York steak is most often seasoned only with salt and pepper to preserve the full range of richness of the meat taste.
The optimal degree of roasting: Medium rare (120 °F) or Medium (130 ° F ). The degree of roasting must be monitored very carefully, otherwise, the meat can be over-dried, because it contains a small layer of fat. As a result of the right actions during cooking, the New York steak turns into an exquisite meat delicacy.
Prepare Steak Sandwich Ahead of Time
The most amazing thing about these sandwiches is that they can be prepared in advance. You can keep them in a fridge or a freezer. When needed, just reheat the filling in the oven, it is very fast and simple!
We suggest using an airtight container and put your steak filling in the refrigerator. This way it can be kept up to 3 days. To prepare your steak sandwich, just assemble everything and put it in the oven. If you want to keep warm your sandwiches, just wrap them in aluminum foil.
Put your steak filling in a freezer-safe airtight container in the fridge. You can keep it up to 3 weeks. Then the actions to prepare a steak sandwich are similar to ones after refrigerating.
What Goes with Steak Sandwiches?
There are a lot of side dishes that go well with a steak sandwich. We suggest:
- French fries, roasted potatoes, chips
- Onion rings, caramelized onion
- Salads such as coleslaw or veggie ones
- Corn and others
How to Make Steak Sandwich
- Cut the onion into very thin half-rings.
- It is better to slightly freeze the meat and cut it also into very thin plates, across the fibers. You can take a flank, you can use cuts for steaks or even a tenderloin. I took a very inexpensive flank steak – a cut that is cut from the abdominal part of the carcass located closer to the hind leg.
- Grate the cheese on a coarse grater.
- If you cook on coals, which is an ideal option, then you will need to put either a cast-iron frying pan or a metal baking sheet on the coals. Шf not, just use a regular grill pan, and cook on the stove.
- Grease the frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil and put the chopped onion on the pan, lightly salt and pepper it.
- The onion does not need to be fried until it crunches, as soon as it has gone limp and become transparent — the onion is ready.
- Remove the onion from the pan and put it on a plate. Carefully remove all leftover onions from the pan.
- On the same frying pan, as it should be heated, we spread thinly sliced beef. Salt it and pepper it. Сook over high heat so that the beef is immediately fried.
- Quickly fry it to the desired degree of readiness. The main thing is not to over-dry so that the meat does not turn into hard dry pieces.
- Add the fried onion to the meat, mix and fry together for about a minute.
- Collect meat and onions together and cover with grated cheese.
- Next to it, we spread the bread cut in half in the form of a book and fry it quickly.
- Remove the bread from the fire, put it on a plate.
- Spread fried meat with onions and cheese on bread. Spread generously, there should really be a lot of meat.
- Put the halves of bread together, press the meat and serve it directly from the fire.
- A wonderful sandwich. The taste of roast beef with fried onions is perfectly complemented by the taste of melted cheese.
- No sauces are required here, they are simply superfluous — this is simple, unsophisticated food, which just attracts with its full sufficiency. You can put fresh vegetables next to it.
- Fry the meat
- Fry the onions
- Mix onions and meat and cover with cheese (salt and pepper)
- Fry the bread
- Assemble your sandwich
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 751
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 41g64%
- Saturated Fat 8.9g45%
- Trans Fat 0.1g
- Cholesterol 153mg51%
- Sodium 584mg25%
- Potassium 707mg21%
- Total Carbohydrate 37g13%
- Dietary Fiber 2.3g10%
- Sugars 5.8g
- Protein 57g114%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.