The most popular sandwich in the USA that can truly be called a “national dish”. Reuben is delicious, very satisfying, and rich with taste. The flavor of the sandwich is given by sauerkraut and a special dressing, also known as “Russian” dressing.
What is a Reuben sandwich?
As is the case with every glorious dish, there are also many legends surrounding the origin of Reuben’s sandwich. The only thing is true that it was invented in America and it is named after the name of the one who invented it, but who exactly it was, we can only guess, rereading different versions of the origin of the sandwich. Anyway, Reuben sandwich is a classic of New York deli and in American cuisine, it occupies no less important place than mac and cheese or even hamburgers and hot dogs themselves. And there is nothing surprising in it! This is one of the most delicious sandwiches: toasted rye bread, crispy sauerkraut, stringy cheese and juicy meat, and all this with a dressing based on ketchup, mayonnaise and horseradish.
Although the ingredients of this sandwich seem strange, sauerkraut, combined with cheese, horseradish, mayonnaise and ketchup, the sandwich taste is very harmonious!
What meat is in a Reuben sandwich?
Corned beef is used in a legendary New York Reuben sandwich. It is one of the oldest meals known to mankind, because as soon as people discovered the effect of salt on meat, they began to salt meat for long-term storage, and then boil it in water to deprive excess salt. There is even an etymological mention of it in Polish. Meat broth in Polish sounds like “Rasul” (Rosół), which literally means the process of removing excess salt from meat by boiling. But prolonged salting not only preserved the meat for a long period but also changed its taste and consistency. That is why, until now, in the era of refrigerators and freezers, there is such a dish as corned beef. Now the meat is salted exclusively for taste pleasure. In the countries of Northern America, this dish is especially popular, where corned beef can be bought in stores under the name “corned beef” or “salt beef”.
What cheese goes on a Reuben sandwich?
The best choice would be Swiss cheese or Gouda. Gruyere, Emmental, or even Swiss-style cheese will work perfectly.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Put the meat in a frying pan, pour in water and heat up a little.
- Spread the slices of bread on the work surface, grease each with a thin layer of butter, then grease 2 slices of bread with sauce, and spread the cabbage evenly on the other two slices, and then add a little sauce.
- Put the meat evenly on the cabbage, and cheese on the pieces with sauce. Put two pieces together.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Fry the sandwiches over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown (or fry the sandwiches in a roaster).
- Serve the Reuben sandwiches immediately, cut in half, with the remaining sauce.
Tips for the best Reuben sandwich
As for making a Reuben sandwich, we have a few tips.
- Before assembling sandwiches, it is worth bringing sauerkraut into the kitchen in advance so that it reaches room temperature.
- The meat should also be warmed up in a frying pan before assembling, with a small amount of water. Otherwise, a thick enough sandwich, just won’t warm up completely until the surface is browned.
- Turn the Reuben sandwich over very carefully! Due to the amount of filling (there is traditionally a lot of meat in it), the sandwich easily falls apart.
Serving Size 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 780
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 49g76%
- Saturated Fat 20g100%
- Trans Fat 0.2g
- Cholesterol 142mg48%
- Sodium 249mg11%
- Potassium 571mg17%
- Total Carbohydrate 39g13%
- Dietary Fiber 4g16%
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 37g74%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.