Nowadays, a sandwich is a popular snack. It’s nutritious, simple and quick to make. There is one problem – sandwiches are not very healthy food, and for those who keep their figure sandwiches are not the best choice – there are too many calories.
But these are all prejudices. A sandwich may be healthy and low-cal. Nobody forces you to make it only with peanut butter. You can replace this unhealthy filling with a lot of greens and boiled chicken breast. Add to this whole-grain bread and here you go – a healthy sandwich is ready. You can eat it for breakfast or take it in the office as lunch.
We don’t recommend continuously eating sandwiches. Our body needs a full lunch or dinner at least once a day.
What Can You Put in a Healthy Sandwich?
Choose the most healthy bread
Not all bread is equally healthy, but you can almost always choose a healthier option. Look not at the caloric content of the product – it is about the same in most varieties, but at the ingredients. Ideally, if the bread for the sandwich is made of whole-grain flour. It is good if it has seeds, sprouted grains, nuts and bran – all together this gives hope that bread will not provoke sharp spikes in blood sugar levels and, in addition to energy, will give the body some more vitamins, fiber and healthy fats. But the main thing is to make sure that the list of ingredients of the bread you like does not include sweeteners – sugar in the sandwich is definitely not necessary.
If you are seriously thinking about the calorie content of the sandwich, choose not the usual bread, but thin whole-grain pita bread, crispbread. Or use salad leaves instead of pitas.
Do not skimp on greens and thinly sliced vegetables: in order for a sandwich to be considered healthy, there should be at least twice as many plants in it as cheese, meat or seafood. Firstly, it will improve protein absorption due to the high fiber content in vegetables. Secondly, it will add volume to your sandwich, and visually it will seem bigger, more satisfying and more appetizing.
Take a look at sauces in a new way
To make a sandwich juicy and tender, it is not necessary to use butter, mayonnaise or ketchup. A delicate texture will help to create a puree of avocado or green peas, Dijon mustard or hummus. However, if the energy value of a snack plays an important role for you, go back to vegetables. Perhaps a juicy slice of tomato or radish will allow you to do without sauce at all.
1. Peach, Prosciutto and Avocado Sandwich
An avocado, prosciutto and peach sandwich is a win-win option for a quick and hearty breakfast or snack. We recommend grinding chickpea beans. A little salt and pepper on the avocado won’t hurt, although it tastes great without them.
- Toast slices of pumpkin bread. Crush the canned chickpeas with a fork so that the beans acquire a mushy consistency. Mash the avocado pulp or cut it into thin slices.
- Place half of the avocado on a slice of toasted pumpkin bread. Next, spread the chickpea paste, then again layer the avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover it all with prosciutto, peach, Havarti cheese.
- Cover the top with another slice of bread to make a closed sandwich.
- Bon Appetit!
2. Fried Egg, Tomato and Avocado Sandwich
A Caprese sandwich is the best way to start your day. Caprese is the famous Italian salad made from tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, but today we are transforming it into a juicy, delicious and satisfying sandwich by adding a few more ingredients. Crispy bread, tender avocado, fried egg, mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. What could be tastier?
- Mix tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and 1 tsp olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Cover and leave at room temperature for 25 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Break the eggs and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Toast the pieces of bread in a dry frying pan until golden brown.
- To assemble the sandwich, put the avocado on the bread, put the fried egg on top and the fourth part of the tomato and mozzarella mixture (step 1). Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
- Bon Appetit!
3. Greek Avocado Sandwich
A great breakfast option for vegetarians or for those who want to eat a healthy sandwich.
- Peel the avocado and mash it into a puree.
- Heat the pita slightly and spread the avocado puree.
- Add thinly sliced onion, cucumber, olives and tomato to the pita.
- Season with spices and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.\
- Bon Appetit!
4. Boiled Eggs Sandwich
There is an opinion that sandwiches are the wrong food, and it is harmful to eat them for breakfast. It’s all prejudice. A sandwich may well be not only delicious but also healthy.
- Boil the eggs, cut them lengthwise into thin circles.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Cut the cucumber into thin slices. Finely chop the scallion.
- Toast bread on a dry pan. Season the yogurt with salt and pepper. Grease slices of toast with yogurt (on one side).
- Put a lettuce leaf, cucumber, egg circles on top of the bread, sprinkle with onions and cover with another slice.
- Bon Appetit!
5. Spicy Carrot and Hummus Sandwich
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to treat yourself with this protein-rich sandwich. It is perfect for a fasting day without meat.
- Make toasts from bread.
- Meanwhile, mix the watercress, carrots, lemon juice and olive oil
- Add hummus to each toast
- Put the watercress and grated carrots, cover with another toast, put a slice of tomato on top. Then the last toast with hummus.
- Bon Appetit!
6. White Bean and Avocado Sandwich
We offer you a recipe for a very hearty vegetarian sandwich with avocado! This sandwich is perfect for a light breakfast. Fragrant, delicious, satisfying and beautiful!
It will not be difficult to prepare such a sandwich, even if you have little time. Beans can be taken both canned or boiled. If desired, you can make an avocado puree and put it on top of a layer of beans, it makes your sandwich delicious.
- To start, mash the beans into a puree with a fork. Add olive oil to make it more liquid.
- Next, toast a slice of bread in a pan or toaster. Spread the bean puree, adding spices – paprika, red or black pepper, basil or cilantro.
- After that, peel the avocado and cut it into small slices. Put them on a sandwich and add salt.
- Bon Appetit!
7. Chicken Avocado Sandwich
Don’t want to use mayonnaise for sandwiches, but are you afraid that it will be too dry? Don’t worry, because there is a great option how to make a sandwich with avocado and chicken.
Avocado spread is used instead of mayonnaise. This sandwich is good because the ingredients in it are interchangeable. For example, you can use parsley or green onions instead of cilantro. Also, you can use fried, boiled or baked chicken. Lettuce leaves can be used instead of bread.
- Cut the boiled chicken and avocado into cubes, finely chop celery, onion, apples without peel, coriander or parsley.
- Add lemon juice, salt and ground pepper to taste, mash the contents of the bowl with a fork, focusing on the avocado, but leaving large pieces of the remaining ingredients.
- Put a small amount of filling on one piece of bread. Cover it with the second one and press it down slightly. Serve the sandwich.
- Bon appetit!