To make a hot sandwich with cheese, you need only 3 ingredients: cheese, bread, butter, or oil, which you need to grease the bread. But even such simple classic sandwiches can have many flavors if you cook them from different types of bread and cheese. Prepare your perfect hot sandwich by following the recommendations for combining the ingredients suggested in the recipe. And you can grill a crispy sandwich with delicious stringy cheese in three ways: the old-fashioned way in a frying pan, in an electric sandwich maker, or the oven.
What is Grilled Cheese?
It is an American cuisine sandwich that was created in 1920. Originally it was made from toasted bread and with American cheese but today you can use any cheese or combination of cheeses.
How Much Cheese to Use
It depends on your taste. Two ounces per sandwich would be enough, but if you love cheese and want your sandwich to be extra cheesy – 3 ounces would do well.
Bread for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
First of all, pay attention to the bread. Choose large loaves that can hold the melted cheese well, without large holes in the crumb, so that the filling does not leak out and does not burn.
The loaf is cut into rather thick slices, about 1-1.5 in.
The Best Pan for Grilled Cheese
It is important to choose the right pan to make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Non-stick pans will work well, but if you don’t have one you can take a cast-iron pan.
The Secret Ingredient for the Best Grilled Cheese
Instead of butter, we suggest using mayonnaise, it will give a distinctive taste to your grilled sandwich and golden-brown crust. Also, you can make your mayonnaise because it is as simple as making a grilled sandwich.
But if you prefer butter, stick to it. There are two options available. First to spread the butter on bread, the second is to melt butter in the pan.
How to Make Grilled Cheese
- Put the pan on medium-low heat and melt a piece of butter. Meanwhile, grease both slices of bread with butter.
- Put a piece of bread to the pan with the butter side down and add 2 ounces of grated cheese or 2 slices on top.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the cheese melt (about 2 minutes).
- Remove the lid, put the remaining slice of bread with the butter side up, and let it “connect” with the cheese.
- Very carefully turn the sandwich over and let the other side also fry well so that the finished sandwich is evenly hot and crispy!
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and cut it into 2 pieces. Cut the sandwich into triangular halves.
- And immediately serve, bon appetit!
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
- Heat plays a huge role in making a grilled cheese sandwich. So all you need is low or medium-low heat and patience to make a perfect grilled sandwich.
- Choose the right bread. Stale bread will not do — the bread must be fresh. The pieces should be the same size and thickness. At the same time, they should not be too thick: in any sandwich, the main thing is the filling, and the bread rather shades its taste and gives shape to the sandwich.
- Use a generous amount of butter to get a crispy texture.